Tuesday, September 21, 2010

www.notabookreport.com

So when Jewel and I started this blog, we discussed a few simple rules that we have already laid out a few of. One of the other rules was that every blog must be inspired by a book in some way. So far we have chosen to discuss the books that we have read, and that's all well and good... But for now, I have decided to branch out and bust out of the mold. Mold is gross anyways.

I want to talk about nostalgia. I have a problem with this every single fall. And right now, I am reading a really good book that is making it worse. It's called The Magicians, and it's like Harry Potter for grown-ups. Now, I know that I've been out of school for awhile now, because I'm an old troll. And I also know the biggest difference in myself and this book that I am reading is that I did not attend a magical unversity. And I don't mean that in a wrongly placed adjective way - literally, a magical university. This what what goes on in this book. And even though I'm that far removed from the subject matter (I can't bend light or move through walls), it still makes me miss school.

There is something about books that is so incredibly magical. You can be transported to another world, be a different person, learn about new things, all within your grasp. How awesome! There is a reason that I re-read a few of my favorite books over and over again. It's the comfort of slipping back into that place that you are so weirdly comfortable with for never actually going there. When you're sad or lonely, a great book can be just the right fix for it. This all sounds so dorky, but I know that anyone reading this who loves to read will feel the same way.

I could spend hours (and I used to) at coffee shops doing stuff online and reading books. I wish that I had more time in my day/week/life to do all of the reading that I want to do. This is not my way of saying that I'm mad that Jewel is beating me at the challenge (I'M NOT, OKAY?). This is my way of saying that if I had it my way, I would read for a living and do nothing but blog for you guys. Even if you don't want to read it.

The weird point that I am tying to make is this - today, it suddenly hit me that taking time to read is something that I cherish and love to do. And it conjures up (see? maybe I DID go to a magical university) all sorts of great emotions. I have a hard time putting down a book when I really love it. But then when I'm done, I'm sad that it's over. IT'S A CATCH-22! Which reminds me, I should read that book.... I never have.

Books that I want to read? Thanks for asking. Feel free to let me know if they are worth checking out...

The Red Tent
Three Cups of Tea
Great Expectations
The Great Gatsby (I know, I've never read it.)
A Brave New World (already read it, but I want to re-read it.)
Crazy Love
Velvet Elvis
Room: A Novel

Any other suggestions?

Until next time, friends... Thanks for reading. If you did. -Mandy

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, I didn't. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness. I was hoping that no one did! Thanks for proving me right.

    ReplyDelete